A Master Chief Mural for a Minor

Halo Mural

When I was in my preteen years, a fictional universe inhabited by Spartan super-soldiers, multiple alien races, and popcorn-like parasites had not yet entered into existence. Today’s generation, though, does not have the same hardship. Halo, which just so happens to be one 11-year-old’s preferred pastime, provided the inspiration behind his brand new wall adornment. Having outgrown the previous dinosaur theme, his stepmother approved covering it up with a more grown-up Master Chief-based mural. The 9′ x 6′ creation, which took the very talented Dave Denner two days to design and three days to paint, features John-117 accompanied by the Arbiter, a Warthog, and a small fleet of Hawks. Pictures documenting the process are awaiting your arrival after the jump, but know in advance there is no Cortana. Apparently he has to wait until he’s 17 for that.

Halo MuralSpacerHalo MuralSpacerHalo Mural

Halo MuralSpacerHalo MuralSpacerHalo Mural

Halo MuralSpacerHalo MuralSpacerHalo Mural

*Images posted with permission

25 Responses to A Master Chief Mural for a Minor

1. cardo8 says:

Wow – great job!

2. Zwooosh says:

That’s really amazing… Guy got some talent…

Pity we are the ones that have to deal with this kid online >_>
    I’m pretty sure the box says “ages 16 and up” :p

• BUfels says:

May I ask what age you were when you first played Halo CE?

• Indeed Not says:

It’s 17 and up, but I started playing Halo: CE at age 10, well before I was supposed to be playing T-rated games. Halo is the most mild rated M game out there, so let the kid have some fun.

• the_eNeME says:

I was 15 when I first played it (shortly after release). In my opinion, that is about the youngest age kids should be allowed to play at. Any younger is a sure sign of bad parenting. (My parents didn’t even want me playing it at 15!)

And I don’t know where you get this “mild game” from… The library level gives me the willies to this day! (goddamn library suite!! and Devils… Monsters…)

ps: Marty is a GOD!

• bs angel says:

I allow one of my younger kiddos to play in Forge with his cousin several states away every weekend. They have a blast dropping kill balls on each other and making various things. I certainly don’t consider myself a bad parent, so I simply think your statement makes assumptions that aren’t necessarily the case 100% of the time. :)

• the_eNeME says:

Come on, you know what I meant. Forge isn’t mature rated… certain scenes from campaign sure are though!

• bs angel says:

Did I mention I make him play that scene minimum seven times a day?

• the_eNeME says:

Haha!

=)

• Indeed Not says:

Mild as in there’s no sexuality, relatively mild swearing, and the blood and gore are nothing compared to a lot of other games. 343 Guilty Spark and The Library are creepy to be sure, but me as a ten year-old was more scared of some “kid” cartoons like The Black Cauldron, A Troll in Central Park, and The Princess and The Goblins. Halo was the most extreme thing I ever played until I was older, and I have no emotional scars from it. I’m glad my parents let me play it.

• Rippolighter159 says:

Was I the only one who was scared -blam- less by the giant eel in mario 64.

That was the first console I had ever owned and I swear to god that thing gave me nightmares as a kid. I would always get my big sister to do that level for me.

Please say i’m not the only one.

• Sonu says:

I was 5…

• Aaron says:

I’m a parent and we have Halo 3 night almost ever friday with my 11 year old and 6 year old sons and my 9 year old daughter.

We play mulitplayer most times, but sometimes we play coop campaign, but we always have a blast. If that makes me a bad parent i don’t want to be a good one.

• Omar says:

My cousins let me play Halo: CE when it was released over here in 2002, I was six. Don’t think it messed me up… too much that is, anyway.

Regardless, that is a FANTASTIC piece of work, that is one lucky kid.

• the_eNeME says:

@Aaron
          You allow your child(ren) to play WITH parental guidance… not alone screaming high pitched obscenities at the screen.

You have to be able to see the difference there.

3. Awesome ^_^

Wish I had artistic abilities >.>

4. JLay says:

That should look awesome with the disco ball going (see 1st shot with windows in it)

• jpd says:

i’ve seen other finished pics of this same mural. the disco ball has a master chief mask over it now. this artist is amazing!

• ILovePretzels69 says:

I can’t believe I missed that…

5. Rippolighter159 says:

rated 17+ Cortana? BOW CHICA BOW WOW!

I approve

6. Man that kid is lucky.

7. BFalcon says:

Haha follow the link to the Flickr gallery, cycle through to image 15 and look at the half-finished warthog. Snorlax, anyone?

8. Taktics says:

I have this: http://a.imageshack.us/img237/1945/080511a.jpg

Hanging in my room. I think it kind of negates this one…

• Visitor at home says:

Both awesome and disturbing at the same time, dude.

9. jarjarjake says:

im 12 and i play red dead redemptiona and gears of war wats the deal with the rating its only a game.