Real Life Cortanas

Cortana, the fictional artificially intelligent hologram from the Halo series of video games, is a much beloved character by both female and male fanatics alike. Besides the fact that she has no physical form or being, Cortana has an outward appearance that is simply difficult to replicate in a costume. Here are some dedicated individuals that have taken the challenge and done it successfully. Do be warned, a few of the pictures are probably NSFW, unless you work somewhere that puts body paint on nude models of course.

msvalentine cortana cosplay

MsValentine
MsValentine has been cosplaying for more than half a decade and over that time period there has been a significant evolution in the quality of her Cortana costume. Playing under the gamertag Cortana2552, she is clearly the definition of a hardcore Halo fan. While she has a few critics for her color choice of purple instead of blue, not many people can deny that her Cortana cosplay is really quite impressive.

body painted halo 3 cortana

Francesca Zappitelli
Body paint, airbrushing, and some significant time in photoshop morphed Francesca Zappitelli, an I4U model of the month, into Cortana. The purpose of the shoot was to present the Plasma Rifle; the added bonus was that geeks everywhere got to ogle a nude, oiled up version of their favorite video game AI.

sister and brother cortana/guilty spark

Calliopeia/SPU7N1K
This brother and sister team decided to go all out to celebrate the launch of Halo 3 back in September of 2007. Calliopeia dressed up as Cortana while SPU7N1K made a 343 Guilty Spark costume out of cardboard, spray paint, and lots and lots of love. Their hard work and dedication paid off as they were probably the best dressed (not to mention the most creative) pair at the event.

blue cortana cosplay

Blue Cortana
This female cosplayer, sporting a bold blue version of Cortana, was spotted at Megacon 2007. Megacon boasts that it is the southeast’s largest comic book, science fiction/fantasy, anime, gaming, toys multi-media event so I am sure she felt right at home. I wonder if she found her Master Chief at that convention?

body painted cortana

Cortana 2.11
KayleeT, who is wearing only reactive UV black bodypaint, had her pictures taken in a blackened room that was lit only by a blacklight. While the images are grainy and the details somewhat difficult to see, overall the effects add to the holographic characteristics Cortana is known for.

jen taylor cortana

Jen Taylor
You can’t make a Cortana list without including Jen Taylor. While she has a resume full of various voice, film, tv, and stage appearances, Halo fanatics everywhere will instantly recognize her as the voice of Cortana. When she said in a recent interview that she doesn’t get any correspondence related to voicing that particular character, someone quickly did some research and found an address that fan mail can be directed to. If you like her (and really, what Halo fan doesn’t?), now you know where to send the love.
You're dressed up as what?

25 Responses to Real Life Cortanas

1. Excellent write up. I had seen all of these except Calliopeia/SPU7N1K (where have I been???) and I must say that i love SPU7N1K’s 343. That psychotic/homicidal Monitor will always hold a special place in my heart.

However, there is one Cortana that is missing…hmm…

2. ashame says:

Best cosplayer is MsValentine in my opinion. And she’s cute :)

3. ashame says:

When are you gonna show us your grunt cosplay angel?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

4. -S- says:

Seriously Angel, how could you not have mentioned yourself! Geez <3 I don’t understand why people got upset at MsValentine for her decision of purple Cortana – Doesn’t anyone remember the days of Halo CE? There were times when she was GREEN for crying out loud.

On a side note, does anyone else think that Cortana was way hotter in Halo CE than in Halo 2, and 3? I didn’t like what they did to her look at all. Aside from the differences made to her face, a minor one that bugged me was the decision to change her short hair to long hair. A big part of what made Cortana sexy was her unique sense of charm, and her ‘attitude': I thought her short stylish hair emphasized those features in a great way. Anyone else feel the same?

5. AusQB says:

I know, her colour corresponds to her “mood”, being her CPU temperature (*nerd alert*). It’s mentioned in the books somewhere I think.

6. Ray says:

I demand you redo the article and include yourself!

=)

-Ray

Ack, it’s that pesky Grunt comment again! LOL, … :)

8. -S-: On a side note, does anyone else think that Cortana was way hotter in Halo CE than in Halo 2, and 3?

Im gonna disagree with you there, I felt Cortana was too…elf like (for lack of a better term) for my taste. I prefered Halo 3 Cortana the best.

AusQB: The Francesca Zappitelli one confused me, because why is a hologram holding…it doesn’t make…ah why bother.

Agreed, while the makeup/photoshop was done very well…it didn’t make a whole lot of sense…but then again is marketing really supposed to?

9. Louis Wu says:

You missed at least one (though it’s NSFW):

Nice list!

Added. And thanks for the heads up! :)

11. ashame says:

Ack, it’s that pesky Grunt comment again! LOL

I won’t do it again I promise :mrgreen:

You make a sexy Cortana too :D

12. Crazyeye0-is too obsessed with a hologram says:

Joining in the conversation of which Cortana is hotter, I personally choose the Halo3 version, since the one in Halo1 had way too short hair, and was somewhat…manly in an odd way…I also awkwardly don’t remember seeing Cortana in Halo2, just her voice. The Halo3 version is just right, since the bluey purple colour is just good, and her hair isn’t rediculously short…

Also, hoorah for Cortana cosplayers ^_^

13. Crazyeye0: I also awkwardly don’t remember seeing Cortana in Halo2, just her voice.

14. Rift says:

Wait, there was an outcry for Cortana being purple?? Wasn’t she purple in Halo? Even green? Then Halo 2 she was almost always purple. Then came Halo 3, where she turned blue for some reason… anyway, yeah, I like the model who was painted…. and the other one, Cortana 2.11 or something, only because it does have a cool effect.

Why don’t photoshops count? bsangel has a great Cortana pic. Now if someone could actually make themselved a hologram….

15. Crazyeye0 says:

“If I remember correctly we see her on holo-pedestals throughout High Charity and in the last cut-scene with Gravemind.”

Ah yes, I remember the Gravemind cutscene, but for some reason I still imagine the Halo3 Cortana every time…Perhaps I should play Halo2 again to refresh my memory…

16. buttskunk says:

I like Jen Taylors work, she has one of the best speaking voices on the Planet.

I know she’s an actress but have to confess I’ve never seen any Jen in movies or shows, maybe one day Jen.

17. Don says:

Halo 2’s Cortana:

18. BSG Daffy says:

w00t for all the Cortanas. Someone should make a video game character called “The Naked Lady.” That would be a great cosplay to see! :D

LOL, … I had just taken a drink when I read that comment, and I almost spit it out everywhere from laughter. Too funny!

20. SPU7N1K says:

Thanks Mendicantbias00 and Bs Angel :) Too bad my 343 costume’s lying in the store room right now, my house is way too small to hold it :(

21. Calliopeia says:

W000t. I love the UV painted Cortana. And BS you need to be on that list too!

22. Lovely ladies one and all!

23. Pingback: Halo 3 Jackal Cosplay « Hawty McBloggy Invites You to Play

24. HellCat says:

Ms Valentine FTW!….. cos i like Ice blue……………….. and bewbies

25. I never understood why people flipped over purple Cortana. She was mostly purple in the first game.