Microsoft Finally Makes Things Right

Three weeks ago I told the tragic tale of Nathaniel, a passionate gamer whose custom Xbox 360 got “cleaned” during an extended stay at the Microsoft repair center. One week after that I told the heartwarming story of Bungie, a very generous gaming studio who went above and beyond for Nathaniel by sending him the best Halo 3-themed goody bag ever. Today brings the final chapter to his story, the part that many people doubted would ever happen.

please don't erase

Microsoft contacted Nathaniel the day the article was originally published to offer a brief apology and to let him know they were working on rectifying the situation. Unfortunately they have been oddly silent since then. They have not given him any updates on the investigation, nor have they said if they figured out exactly what happened to his case. They did send him a gigantic cardboard box though.

microsoft box

What exactly was in this mysterious box that Microsoft wanted him to enjoy? Not a letter or an answer as to why his artwork and autographs were erased, but instead plenty of other stuff to make up for their mistake. Included in Microsoft’s big box of goodies were:

• 1 Xbox 360 console (signed by original RT signers, new artwork by Luke McKay, signatures from Xbox 360 team, additional signatures from Bungie Staff)
  • 1 Xbox 360 faceplate (signed by Bill Gates, among others)
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Rainbow Six Vegas 2
  • Gears of War
  • Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
  • 2 ‘What’s Your Gamerscore?’ Bumperstickers
  • Xbox 360 CD Wallet
  • Signed picture of Bill Gates

xbox 360 faceplate signed by bill gates

Nathaniel’s personal statement :

While my story has come to what I am sure the average reader will conclude is a satisfactory close, I do not personally view this as its ultimate end. Don’t get me wrong: My overall mood about the packages I have received from Bungie and Microsoft is nothing short of ecstatic, but compensation was never my focus. The only thing I have specifically asked of Microsoft and the Xbox 360 team for is this particular case to be examined so that some change(s), whether small or broad, can be made to the service process to prevent the occurrence of any similar scenario. This remains my only request. I’m not asking for details, but if my story is leading to changes that should benefit current and future Xbox 360 owners, I would really like to know.

I do not think the people at Microsoft that have been working diligently on the XBox 360 project over the last several years are fools. There have been many lessons to be learned for all that have worked on the project at all levels, from the inception of the console until now. I am confident that this story–and the subsequent response that it has received from the gaming community as a whole–will reinforce the importance of keeping customer service and repair divisions well organized and in top form.

To those who have worked to put this package together for me, you have my gratitude. Thank you all for putting forth the time and effort to do this for me; this is indeed far “more awesome” than what I had before.

This story has shown itself to be a great lesson in the power of the Internet. It is with this observation that I must say to the gaming community at large, those who’ve shown their support and saved me much of the effort of spreading my story myself, you also have my gratitude. Without the actions of a great number of individuals who will forever remain unknown to me, my “cautionary tale” would not have reached nearly as many people. Thank you.

microsoft xbox 360microsoft xbox 360

As Nathaniel’s story reaches its happy ending, I can’t help but wonder what happens to the rest of us. Will Microsoft work to improve its customer service? Will this story cause some changes to be made in regards to the communication breakdowns that occur between their phone support, their repair center, and Microsoft itself? Will I ever get back all my Arcade games that I lost access to when one of my consoles red ringed?! I suppose only time will tell. Until then, I will continue to ogle Nathaniel’s goodies with my green tinged eyes.

168 Responses to Microsoft Finally Makes Things Right

1. Awesome! I too will be a sickly shade of green for a while, but I am glad that everything came out right in the end. I also hope that this is the first sign that Xbox Customer Service will continue to be improved upon. =)

• That guy stuck in space with Master Chief But Isn't a Spartan so dies from not breathing. says:

Also hidden deep within the sea of packing peanuts, Microsoft stowed a Cappuchin Monkey, specially trained to rig your 360 with the RROD, and equipped with a signature erasing cloth. It also signed for Bill Gates on the X-box.

2. BBJynne says:

yeh!
    microsoft is not as evil as everyone suspected

3. Kato says:

Goodonya everyone who helped make this right.

Also… I don’t know about you but I found Bill Gates’ signature underwhelming. I didn’t find him signing it underwhelming, rather the actual signature itself… I mean, I guess I didn’t expect someone who’s that rich and famous to have a signature that wouldn’t look out of place on a Trapper Keeper. (Sorry Bill).

4. S says:

This is nice and all, but I wish people would leave it alone–all this stuff making it sound like Microsoft was trying to somehow ruin his life. What probably it happened is it got sent to some factory in Mexico or China, and some guy/lady getting paid a dollar an day who doesn’t speak English and whose job it is to clean the boxes cleaned it b/c that’s her job so she did it. I don’t see why Microsoft owes him some explanation for doing what they do to every single other XBOX that comes in. And anyone who thinks they should be blamed for the breakdown between the person and the phone and the factory on the other side of the world has never worked with international offices. Because really, what was wrong with their customer service? They took his xbox, fixed it, cleaned it, and sent it back, which–like I said–is probably what they do with everything. Wouldn’t bad customer service be sending back a broken box, or not fixing it?

I don’t mean to be a jerk–it does suck that this happened, and I’m glad he got some positive resolution in the end–but seriously, give it a rest.

5. Boxer says:

Wow… Bill Gates has a horrible signature.

6. Laird says:

I seem to remember alot of people saying “Bill Gates himself better sign this kids xbox 360!”, well careful what you wish for…it can come true. Anyways well played Microsoft, well played.

7. Zoom says:

I agree… Bill Gates signature looks like a 4th grader trying to learn cursive. :P That is really cool! Look at all those signatures, thats double than what he had before!

8. Cynden says:

In response to S:
    Nathaniel is my brother and he was never looking for a large amount of publicity. He was only looking to try and warn other gamers that the same thing could happen to them. He NEVER tried to make a horrible name for microsoft. He only ever tried to make sure microsoft understood how hard it is for people like him to loose something they love so much. Microsoft does not send the consoles out of the states. They go to TEXAS. and if you took your head out of your ass long enough to read all the parts of this story you would know that he was personally called by the microsoft team who told him that any worker with a brain should have known not to touch his Xbox. He has never tried to get an explination. His only goal was to let them and gamers know the possibility of a custom case getting cleaned. He would have been happy with an apology and a “we’ll work to make it better”

LOVE YOU BIG BRO! But you suck for getting so much cool stuff lately!!!! I still think I should get the snowboard instead of dad!

9. chaosgone says:

Mistakes happen. I’m glad that Microsoft was able to make up for their errors.

10. Fixer187 says:

Psj, I realy ask myself. Why are idiots awarded because they do idiot things.

If I had such an xbox I would never play on it and it will be behind glass, let alone send it to a repair service.

Wonderfully put chaosgone.

12. jb84 says:

Very nice, Microsoft. GG.

Hopefully Microsoft can fix the issues that made this come up, although honestly, it may have just been the actions of one silly employee and there’s not much you can do to prevent that. I hope Nathaniel understands this.

I also hope Nathaniel understands that stuff like this can easily happen, and he shouldn’t send away a prized possession away like that. It’s mean for people to call Nathaniel an “idiot,” but it honestly wasn’t the smartest thing to do. I understand why he did it though, and I understand why he figured it would be alright.

13. Jonathan says:

Haha, a signed picture of Bill Gates? You can get these on ebay. No-one bids on them. The other stuff is very good indeed though. Well done Nathaniel, I bet you’re very pleased :)

14. Brendo says:

Great now he has a signed pic of Bil Gates to slap on his Dart Board.

15. TN says:

Bill Gates’s signature looks like that because the guy hasn’t picked up a pen in 10 years. He has a computer that reads his mind and types whatever he wants. I would too if I had as much money as him.

16. BobSalawalatski says:

Microsoft’s customer service is generally prety great as far as I have seen, save for this one error that has hopefully been solved, or at least has someone looking for a solution now.

Free service packs, Free Zune 2.0 Upgrade for those of us who “Joined the Social” early on, and that Free Xbox Live Arcade game to make up for the January outages are all good examples of great support on their end.

I’m sure they take pride in their customer service and will work to eliminate the possibility of this happening again, so I have no doubt that this whole ordeal will result in an overall improvement for gamers. Giving him the Xbox 360 Goodie box and Halo 3 Goodie Bag were very nice, but they weren’t necessarily the most important issue.

And I’m sure Nathan is glad he got his awesome collection of signed Halo and Xbox stuff, and it would have been a bad move on Microsoft’s part not to replace what was destroyed with something of equal or greater “awesomeness,” but the main thing they should be concerned about is making sure noone else has thier cool signatures and art washed away.

17. XerxdeeJ says:

I am not impressed.

MSFT should agree to fix every other XBox that red-rings to properly compensate for this outrage. And they should do it for free! And they should pay for all of the shipping. I know this would cot billions of dollars, and its above and beyond the industry norm, but it’s the right thing to do.

What?

18. Ragingterror says:

@ Xerxdeej:

Haha!

19. Dan the Stick says:

Well done, not just with the fact that you have got so much amazing stuff, but that you have alerted Microsoft of some of their problems and got them repsonding to the community and fixing these sort of problems.

20. Ill Eagle says:

Not to put the blame on anything but Microsoft, but Jesus dude, learn to edit.

You took 350 words to say, “The gifts are cool but I wish this hadn’t happened in the first place. Watch out everybody.” And your original letter to Microsoft was even longer.

I’ve only see two of your letters and they’ve both been verbose bordering on impenetrable. Again, there’s no excuse for what Microsoft did, but your incredibly self-indulgent writing probably only confused the issue.

21. Socket29 says:

It’s very nice of MS to do this. However it will never replace what Nathaniel had before… He collected each indivdual sig, by himself.
    With each of those sigs came a memory, which is now forever lost. He’s getting a memoryless xbox dumped in his lap as an apology.

22. Michael Terry says:

Wow, I’m sure glad this huge problem was brought to our attention. I mean, this is obviously a clear symptom of a much deeper malaise in Microsoft’s customer support. Honestly, if they can’t handle every one of hundreds of thousands of support cases without a slip, that’s hardly better than no support at all, I’d say.

Also, Nathaniel sounds so gracious in accepting Microsoft’s apology. It’s true that none of the people who signed his console could have remotely anticipated or prevented this problem, and yet they still bent over backwards to please him. I could really sense from his acknowledgment note that Nathaniel understood this.

On the other hand, this could be one of those frustrating cases where there’s no systemic failure. What if it were just one dumb person who screwed up somewhere? That’d be weird, huh?

23. Ken Selvin says:

My initial thoughts were that this guy was demanding free handouts and going about this the wrong way (I never saw the original article, only a CRAPLOAD of secondary stuff. That’s the biggest reason why I never posted my thoughts.) He really changed my opinion of him when he said that he didn’t release it for vengeance.

So my new opinion is that he deserved the stuff (mostly). If it had been out of malice, he should have been slapped for being an idiot (corporations can’t deal with individual people. It’s not good for business. Capitalism 101!), but since he did it out of general concern for others, and wasn’t actually looking for free handouts, I don’t mind that he got that stuff. Enjoy your swag, Nathaniel!

24. Joe says:

that’s too cool.. now, Bungie and microsoft.. let me tell you about my story and my missing Porsche…

25. Babamthegrunt says:

Thats cool that MS went to all the trouble to do this.
    Nathaniel, I suggest you keep this new one in a glass case, and dont use it, just use your original 360.

26. Pvt Jokar says:

It’s very nice to see that you handled this in such a respectable manner, and have been graciously showered with gifts as compensation. That Xbox 360 is hawt. ;)

Any chance we can get a photo of this signed Bill Gates picture?

27. Bob says:

Anyone else thinking.. E B A Y !!!!!!!!!

28. Brian says:

Nice story

those arcade games you say you lost, if you have the problem of unable to play your arcade games unless your online then call microsoft. They told me the reason you couldnt play them offline is because the games are tied to the console they were first downloaded on so they have to switch the rights to those games to your new 360. It takes about over a month for them to do it, today they called me and told me that they did it and all I need to do is redownload the games and they should work. Havent tried it yet though

29. someknowledge says:

Reminds me of the time I got a defective game disk for my X-Box. Called the service number on the game to get an idea of how to return the game. Microsoft service answers the phone. The tech on the line tried to convince me to delete all my saved games to get the defective disc to run. Idiots. Apparently this is part of Microsoft policy to provide maximum annoyance to their customers.

30. bwg says:

It’s going to be extra funny when this unit eventually gets teh RROD

31. That’s pure AWESOME!!!

MS has finally done something great, but hopefully they went after the employee (or at least followed up!) who washed the original case!!!

32. briscos horse says:

Maybe they can send me one to replace the one I sent back twice for repair and the third time they want 100.00!

What great customer service!

33. rylos says:

Personally I think it’s wrong that this guy is rewarded for his stupidity. Why would you send something like this to Microsoft? If it was as sentimental as it was portrayed to be I wouldn’t have let this thing leave my house. Of course I wouldn’t have been using it either.

34. whinger says:

this guy is a total whinger, he got much more worth than his initial crap

35. timestoby says:

wow,that looks like crap.good that he got alot of LOOT

36. The Slinger says:

All I can say is “Wow.” Microsoft clearly righted their wrong, and I’m sure that Nathan is really freakin happy! Congrats man! And hope it never happens again

37. NsU Soldier says:

Holy Public Relations, Batman! Microsoft actually addressed this despicable disaster!

38. TTL Nodak says:

Wow, M$ really stepped up. I am uber happy for you Nate! That is unreal.

You know there is only one way to test if M$ has truely fixed the problem don’t you? ;) j/k

Nice job Angel. You’re like a superhero! Righting wrongs all across the gaming world. *gasp* Is that was BS stands for? Beautiful Superhero??? OMG!! ;)

39. BEan says:

My advice, use a light coat of clear spray paint to protect the signatures.

40. the eNeME says:

Wow, he’s got an original mister chief on there… those go for.. what was it again? $6,100… Sure it doesn’t have the same sentimental value, but damn… That’s amazing.

41. Marcin says:

That is awesome! Microsoft is kicking some ass! I can’t believe this story went all the way up to Bill Gates, wooooooooooow ^^ That’s fantastic.

42. PS3 NERD says:

Well done microsoft =D

43. Excardon says:

Signed by Bill Gates FTFMW!

44. autopatch says:

If I was him I would put that console in a glass box and never play it and never send it anywhere. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

45. John Youngs says:

I feel you with the microsoft customer service. the day I got my 360 I had a broken power supply so I didn’t have a working system. I ended up figuring it out because we were having a get together right after the launch and I just used another friends power supply. Anywho after calling microsoft about 15 times back and forth for a month and a half a service rep finally lied about me not getting a power supply and they sent me a replacement over night. 1 and a half months…

Now as of last week, my “new” powersupply is having problems getting the red light, and what not and has finally died. I called microsoft up again, and it’s not covered. So now I have to pay 79. dollars to buy a new one, cept I can find them in stores for much cheaper.. I asked for an address to file a complaint and they gave me the 1 microsoft way law office thing to write to. It’s like a giant circle jerk, and I think they need to really fix their system.

46. Java says:

I bet he wished they gave him a new PS3

47. doug says:

Its hard to satisfy some people. To all thoses underwhelmed by the new signatures– now that the new case has made the rounds inside Microsoft, if systemic change needs to be made, chances are the person with the power to make them now knows about it.

48. wisefire says:

“HEY BILL?”
    “it’s mr. Gates to you, boy!”
    “sorry, MR. GATES?”
    “yes, what is it”
    “we need you to sign this faceplate”
    “why?”
    “well, a kid got his xbox repaired and lost all his autographs”
    “well, duh, his xbox got replaced!”
    “no, it got scrubbed off”
    “what?”
    “and he was told by our customer service that that wouldnt happen..”
    “jesus christ, bunch of dumb fscks, i’ve had it with that customer service, we are going to clean up that place.. NOW!!!”
    “yes sir…” .. ” eh sir..”
    “WHAT???”
    “the autograph sir..”
    “oh yes.. here” *scribble*
    “wow sir.. that looks .. really unremarkable”
    “yeah..well.. i’m to busy beeing angry at the state of our service department”
    “ok sir.. thnx sir”

49. excommodog says:

Good for him, hell, all i want is a working console…

50. slav says:

I understand all of the signatures give it value, sentimental and monetary as well. But to me this console looks ugly with all the signatures. Would prefer a clean plain white look instead.

51. Laird2 says:

Seriously – that was more than awesome. I would be thrilled.

Green with envy indeed.

52. Signed picture of Bill Gates, I wonder if it’s candid (nudge nudge wink wink say no more).
    In all honesty though, there’s probably not one area of Microsofts after sales service that hasn’t sucked when it comes to 360, but at least theyre willing to admit their mistakes and try to recompense people.
    It’s still my console of choice.

53. Arthur says:

Install Linux on that bitch!

54. Rionnipal says:

i could cover the WHOLE case in some sort of clear coat, just to lock in all that beautiful ink. Imagine what Sony would have done with a case like this (no pun intended0

55. Just_One_Fix420 says:

Good to see that they stepped up….but I have to say that bungie still stepped up bigger and quicker… good to hear that what was wrong has been fixed.

56. Simon Dann says:

I wonder how much that would sell on ebay for ;)

57. benglued says:

Good to see

58. The pwnage says:

Wow, I might just draw some shit on my 360 and then send it into microsoft and scrub it clean when I get it back to get this treatment.

Wow.

59. Brian says:

Xbox and Microsoft both sucks. play station 3 is the way to go. If you want to have to send your Xbox back like 3 times buy it if not buy a play station 3.

60. Dag says:

Incredible efforts from both sides, happy to see such a happy ending to this.

61. Will says:

My original statement stands, sympathy can be found between shit and syphilis. You parted with a unique keepsake, it got ruined, and you cried to the internet about it. It’s great that everything worked out in the end, but it’s still ultimately your fault that it happened in the first place.

62. Ragingterror says:

@ Will:

We are all entitled to our opinions. My opinion of you is that you are acting like an asshole.

Read my statements… slowly and carefully. I did not ask for sympathy. Yeah, perhaps the console shouldn’t have ever left my home. So what? What’s done is done.

I wanted to warn other not to make the same mistake I did, and my plans have worked better than I could have hoped. Why do you still insist on being a nuisance?

63. modtv says:

lma@o at the little master chief head on the bottom of the 360 console that says ” wash me ” hahahahahahahahhahhahahhahahhahahhahahhaaa who ever wrote that is awsome

64. Cdiddy says:

This situation is far beyond rectified and he is still whining. get a hold of yourself man. This shouldnt even have been an issue to begin with

65. Not Cynden says:

Horse poop! The whole purpose of this blog was to get publicity. If your brother had read the terms of service he would see Microsoft has the right to do anything they please with a malfunctioning xbox360. Your brother and this blog both wanted attention. In the end it makes both look like ungrateful jerks. He lost some signatures, oh boo friggin hoo. Sign it yourself and call it good.

66. ben says:

Bill Gates’ autograph is about as bad as mine.

67. Bjartur says:

That’s fucking awesome :P
    Got nothing but respect for Microsoft right now.

68. greth says:

oh my godddddd i would love to be nathan’s girlfriend right now ;p

anyway, congratulations on your triumph. it’s truly so awesome they went through for you and hopefully this is somewhat of a milestone and will help in improving everything that goes down over there.

69. Dude says:

@ will

So to you a paperweight with signatures is worth more then a working box with signatures. yea, Gimme that dobie you are smoking cause it sure looks like some good stuff dawg.

Nate had every right to make a statement and request replacement. If I had done that to a car I was wrapping with graphics at work my ass would have been grass as sure as yours would have been. It was not the customers fault for seeking CUSTOMER SERVICE, its your fault for missing the point of CUSTOMER SERVICE. And MY statement STANDS working IN CUSTOMER SERVICE.

70. rivviepop says:

The first thing I’d do is be shopping around for some sort of matte fixative (much like what charcoal/chalk artists use) that would properly adhere to this material, take the case parts off and properly treat the casing so that the artwork/sigs can’t get damaged through even casual handling.

Part of owning anything this important is to ensure that from day #1 it’s properly protected from the elements (whether it be finger grease or accidental spills) – it’s just like collecting a comic book or any other rare, one of a kind item.

Then plug it in and play the sh*t out of it. :)

71. Brandon says:

Wow, I wish microsoft would make things right with me… I sent my xbox in almost a month ago now and apparently its still at the “service center”. Sweet.

72. I have the same problem as bill gates with my autograph maybe its because we are both left handed. I have seen a lot of left handed people with problems keeping an constant signature.

73. Ya-Goog! says:

#9, yes your brother is very spoiled now! Besides, what is the completely disconnected, sub-contracted phone support supposed to say about a repair plant in Texico…I mean Texas….”ya they’s got piss for brains!” They wouldn’t say it if it was true. They couldn’t becuase they’d have a supervisor down their throats in minutes. This is the same for any company. This same thing would happen at any other repair center that cleans the outside of a case for any other company.

The techs get so used to doing their job, they do it so fast, that his xbox was taken out in a second, taken apart, case sent down the case cleaning lane, sprayed with industrial cleaner on the top and bottom in the blink of an eye, heck it could have even been automated. Maybe they used a cleaner they thought would leave the drawing there. Besides, this was probably their first “I’d like a double whopper with my own cheese I brought put on it” order

If he valued THAT SIGNED xbox so much, he should have had it behind glass. This is the first I’ve heard about this problem…I never hear about custom skinned boxes coming back with skin stickers taken off….you brother was way off base for trying to warn people about MS “uncustomizing” boxes. They probably used cleaner they thought would be ok on the drawing thinking it was done with a permanent only to find out it was basically a dry-erase marker. I’m sure if he actually cared about protecting his drawing at all he would have bought a $5 can of clearcoat at walmart that would have prevented this whole mess. Sure he would have to tape off the holes/etc but that would take a minute. Or just Or myabe it was permanent and their cleaner was just way better than they thought. Oh not to mention the orig had “don’t put too much ink on me, I might overheat” and “3-shitsty” written on the back….I bet they have a policy if there’s any cuss words they have to clean it off.

Just goes to show how much leverage consumers can have with a company that has kicked itself in the balls a couple of times, but in this case MS repaired it and got bitched at for messing up/working on correcting a mistake on a custom-request.

Also, don’t mean to be a leagalist but his letter

“…When I put in the service request for my unit, the agent that took my call assured me that the same unit I have sent to you would be shipped back to me. If you must send a different unit back, please put my original case on the replacement unit. Having put the above information forward, it is logical to conclude that I would be most disappointed should I receive a different console with a plain white case in return.

74. Mike says:

Nice to see a company taking care of it’s customers. But would they have done the same if the story hadn’t become so public? I’d like to think so…

75. Ben says:

bah lucky, only got a refund for my 9 returned 360′s.. and he gets pampered!

76. Ya-Goog! says:

Also, not to mention after looking at the orig. hate post on MS for repairing and cleaning that 360…the poster only posted a picture of what the top looked like after it came back, that was the side with “shitsty” written on it………for all we know, the bottom still had all the artwork and signatures on it. I bet the top looked like graffiti and not artwork to the repair techs.

77. scott madore says:

That is not Bills signature. Just google “bill gates signature” and see the results.

His B always is attached to the i
    His G loops over to the a

78. BLACKBOOK says:

Ok… great work on everyone’s part in helping this guy get back or nearly so to his original xbox with all it’s custom ink. For those that thing MS had no liability in this let’s compare what would happen if you took your customized, speed-racer honda into the shop and they stripped of the flaming yellow paint all the way down to the original baby metallic blue. Would you assume it was their job to “clean” your car to fix the engine? What would ever give them the idea that they needed to strip any customization just to repair the vehicle?

I’m glad they made good, makes me feel great about MS.

79. Ya-Goog! says:

AH! Aight first post went through…I guess they say it takes repeating something 10 times before something can be remembered : ]

Anyways…in some ways companies only meet the expectations of customers. When Nathan got like 1/2 grand worth of stuff from MS, and then basically says…”lol but MS, did you fix your crap service for messing up my artwork? Where’s my artwork still??”

So now that screws everyone else wanting to get service by MS becuase they will remember Nathan and the fact it was impossible to make up for it. So when customers report probs. no MS is more likely to say “F* it!” and do a piss-poor job at service because they know either way it’s gonna be a complaint about service.

That’s why Mac lives up to it’s reputation…cause almost everyone I talk to are like “wow it only took 2 days!” If mac screwed over on customer who had a keyboard and decided to write about it, like Nathan did, would mac rep change? Maybe not, and that’s why maybe no matter what MS does now their reputation won’t change. It’s a sad thing imho. Reputations stay the same for better or worse.

80. PJ6 says:

The original was not washed, it was stolen and replaced with another that was marked up and washed, so no one would come looking for it.

81. Rob says:

It shows that companies are usually made up of human beings (welll.. not all, some are downright spawns of SATAN, you know who i’m talking about)
    But Microsoft being the huge monster in size that it is, all in all has handled itself decently in the grand picture in alot of cases.. Yes they want to make money, but alot of them are just computer geeks like alot of us. They’re so friggin huge that yes alot of times they mess up on a huge scale.. But when they do screw someone over, its not because they don’t care.. It’s because the little guys get lost in the huge process they use.
    When someone who does have the power to do something, they usually will :)

82. Lorac says:

Haha, gotta love it.

Burnie Burns
    “Church”
    “SUCKS”

83. Gman says:

I FULLY expect you to donate your xbox to charity or to an underpriviledged kid since compensation was never your focus.

If your xbox was some sort of special collectors hard to find item you DO NOT use it for regular gaming or send it for repair at a STANDARD xbox repair facility. You got far more than what you deserved yet you still whine.

84. JOe says:

Ridiculous. Sucks that Microsoft would screw up like that, but I’m quite surprised at their compensation, and it gives me that much more respect for them.

But by the way
    You should never say you’re going to continue(or even start) to ogle another man’s goodies, :D

85. Darth Paul says:

honestly this is ta friggen shit and i dont care wut other people say cause i saw the origional post it wasnt a cry for attention he was just warning people

also now if he has to send it in he can use the case from his origional 360 and keep the new “completely awesomeness” one at home

nice of microsoft too

86. trademark says:

That’s a pretty cool thing for them to do.

87. Ragingterror says:

Then you obviously haven’t done your research. There is a reason the box that comes in the mail has a page in it that clearly states that the person sending in their unit should remove any accessories, skins, and extra/custom face plates.

“…Please take care in handling the case, as despite the fact that the ink is permanent and has had plenty of time to set, the possibility yet remains that it may be smudged.”

Was fulfilled in every way….it was the same exact case and there wasn’t an smudged ink on it. It wasn’t a “different console with a plain white case” It was the same console with a plain white face. If anything, MS was out of line for ensuring the console to come back looking like it did when it arrived, warranties are so shit gets fixed, not for preservation of precious, delicate paintings belonging in a museum…ok exaggerated but you get the point.”

Oh really? How can one read that last sentence and determine that it is OK to remove the ink despite that I have clearly asked that it be protected. Read it again, slowly this time:

Not that any of this debacle really matters anyway. The point is simple, a support rep, likely uninformed about the repair process, told me the wrong thing. Is it too much to ask that, service reps should be knowledgeable enough to know what can and cannot be promised?

Have you read the horror stories with their customer service department? There has been a slough of problems ranging from DRM issues, to lost consoles, to one poor soul getting a piece of PC software in the mail instead of his 360. Now, read THIS statement again, and SLOWLY:

If nothing else, this draws attention to the fact that there are problems with their support that really should be addressed, regardless of what is done and how Microsoft chooses to go about it.

Somehow, I’m not surprised you’ve gone so far as mention the ongoing PC vs Mac debate. That is not the issue here.

88. Ragingterror says:

Before I forget:

That is a joke, written on the console by the first signer: Gustavo Sorola of Roosterteeth Productions.

And no, it wasn’t. Look at the pictures again, CLOSELY (seeing a theme here?), specifically noting the orientation of the box. You are comparing the top of the signed box to the BOTTOM of the washed box.

Fail.

89. ~M says:

Yeah they probably just hired some guy named William Gates for the janitor staff or something.

90. JR Richardson says:

Somebody who knows this guy, please advise him to take the case to a body shop and have it 2-part clear coated. It would be a shame if this thing got trashed again.

91. Nader says:

This makes me feel a bit better about Microsoft, but not much. I have been waiting since February 23rd for my XBOX 360 coffin in the mail. Everytime I call for a status update/tracking number, I am told they don’t have one and will be cancelling the current work order to create a new one for me. Let’s just say that SIX work orders and a dozen or so phone conversations later, I still have no box to ship my RRD XBOX 360. Hopefully Microsoft will make things right with me as well.

92. Darth Paul says:

wow ragingterror is goin a bit crazy with the long postage lol

93. Term Papers says:

Awesome ending.

94. goose says:

Dudes xbox looks like crap now. heh

95. merliOmagro says:

Eu acho essa notícia fantasiosa, típica de alguém que não tem o que fazer e que, por isso, valoriza demais algo que simplesmente não tem valor algum.

96. M$sux says:

I give this new crapbox 360 2 months before it RRoD’s as well. You gonna send that one in?

97. none says:

PS3 all the way later

98. Joe says:

Interesting. MS does what it does best, which is Pale imitations of the original thing! THe original artwork and sigs where far better than what MS tried to do. BG autograph? Really? Wow. Yea. /Sarcasm.

99. Ya-Goog! says:

True, I was looking at the “360″ embossing since the section where the rubber feet would/wouldn’t be wasn’t shown, it looked like embossing was only on top but other pics show embossing on the bottom better. I stand corrected then, looks like all the doodling was washed off.

The point is…
    People have the common sense to not send signed sports equip. in to get fixed. Shoot they are smart enough not even to use it, if they value it. Nobody who knows what an autograph is does. You took the gamble because you were MORE SCARED of your xbox360 not working after you tried to fix it yourself than you were worried about the artwork. If you were so worried about smudges, you YOURSELF wouldn’t handle it. Did you use gloves all the time or what when you picked it up??

Regardless…you shouldn’t send your artwork in with your console. Period. Microsoft tells you ONLY to send in your console and not your artwork. the rep who told you to send along your artwork with it was wrong, and since you had no way of separating your artwork from your console, the rep was wrong to say “we’ll protect it”. You should be flaming the rep, not the repair system.

And if you glue your artwork on your console…heck do it right on your console with a pen, then Microsoft should punish the rep who told you MS is in the business of insuring artwork which they aren’t, instead of sending $1/2 grand of stuff catering to an ungrateful, spoiled brat who already got a crapload from Bungie.

Fail. Period.

100. Fake says:

after seeing Bill Gates Signature, i think this is fake. what kind of billionaire signs his name like a 3rd grader?

101. Jonathan, Brazil says:

GREAT MARKETING STRATEGY…

102. Pingback: Support this story on Stirrdup

103. Gravisman says:

Can’t help but notice that Gates connects the B and G to the other letters in his respective names in signatures that seem fairly reliably authentic as brought up by a quick google image search. This signature seems questionable…

104. Jon8RFC nmX.CRIMENY says:

I guess nobody here has followed FD since their inception (since nobody mentioned it), but I see a signature by Mischief of the FragDolls, accompanied by a heart. Very Cool.

105. Ragingterror says:

You should be flaming the rep, not the repair system.

I am. As far as we are all concerned, the repair system includes everyone that is involved in the process, from the support rep making the arrangements for shipping to the people at the repair center that have direct contact with the unit. Read:

…$1/2 grand of stuff catering to an ungrateful, spoiled brat who already got a crapload from Bungie.

Ungrateful? How many times do I have to ask you to set aside your preconceived notions and actually read and comprehend the words that are on the screen in front of you? I think what they did for me was wonderful, and I will forever remain thankful for this. They didn’t have to do this.

Furthermore, there is one John Porcaro, marketing manager at Microsoft (Yes, the one I spoke to on the phone a couple weeks ago), that can attest to the fact that I did not go into this expecting anything other than the chance to help ensure that other gamers do not find themselves in my shoes.

This exchange is over. Please take your trolling elsewhere.

106. Ya-Goog! says:

107, PC gaming…all the way. PC prices are at the point you can buy a pre-made amd dual core system for about $250, even less, add in the graphics card… say an 8800gs for $110AR and you have something way better than basically the x1900 in the 360 or 7800 in the ps3…actually… http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2005/08/31/playstation-3-gpu-slightly-less-powerful-than–geforce-7800
    so the PS3′s gpu is WORSE than a 7800, maybe not buy much. Wait physics on the cell you say? GPU’s will always be better at handling that stuff than CPU’s, even 7-mini-core cpu’s ala cell, that’s why nvidia bought out Ageia so they can incorporate it into their cards. Just google “intel larabee”, I think that will put Cell to shame.

But since Nintendo (sony, ms too) wants to sell THEIR underpowered consoles at higher prices, people will be buying them. I LOVE smash bros/etc, yes it seems wii’s are reliable but so is last-generation tech that’s had time to mature. It looks good enough and it’s not always about the graphics, but the pace of the new smash bros seems noticeably slower than melee was, and on the gamecube, melee would bogg down a bunch at times. Brawl is just “slower” overall really. no bogg downs though.

StarCraft II is coming out for pc, that’s all I have to say : ]

107. Dallas says:

Also, they get shipped, as well as many other hardware vendors, to McAllen TX. Then, get ready for this *gasp*, get TRUCKED into Mexico to a repair center. Just because the shipping label says it shipped to a city does not mean it was repaired there.

So yes, it was repaired in Mexico.

108. alysson says:

É por isso que a Microsoft é a melhor. Ótima no marketing.
    Abraços a todos.

109. Ya-Goog! says:

I agree, the Bill Gates sig does look fake : ]
    Doesn’t that actually devalue the console? : ]

You can get a service rep to practically guarantee you anything…
    …”I want my 360 to be returned with the cheeseburger I glued on top, it’s a cheeseburger from the Halo creators!”

support..”Yup. I 100% gurantee it”
    guy..”So you are gonna fix it youself?”

….”Nope I’ll make sure this message gets passed to all 20 people involved in the repair process, just make sure to glue your cheeseburger and letter about the cheeseburger to your 360 just in case!”

Customers are way to naive.

It saddens me that some people accept substandard service simply because it is the norm.

111. Strikerzex911 says:

Glad to see justice served!

112. 2.0 Weblogs says:

Don’t be sad bs angel, be happy that you got such a positive response, your w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l!

113. zencath says:

To answer BBJynne. Yes it might show they’re not as evil as we thought, but then again it might also show that they still have an eye toward the profit motivation of keeping happy a customer whose case has been taken up by a high profile blog? I know very little about such matters, but I merely make the observation.

114. Neil says:

lol someone wrote “Wash Me” on the 360 :P

115. JezisBunny says:

You’re STILL not getting your content back so 2fingers to U from Bill and all the boys back at XQ.

116. Tortacular says:

I just love all the people moaning about him being compensated in the comments, and acting like he was still complaining somehow. Obviously either they a) didn’t actually READ it or b) can’t comprehend what was written.

Reading is fundemental. Acting like an asshat on the internet just because you CAN isn’t.

M$ did good.

117. Marc says:

Sure, Bill Gates takes the time to sign a console from a hardcore player. You wish. As others wrote before, his signature looks a little bit different, as you can see in this picture, which is definitely genuine:

Notice how the “B” is connected to the “i” in Bill, which is not the case on the console.

I guess it’s the thought that counts – after all, it’s a nice package, which shows that the people at Microsoft care about their customers. Well done, Microsoft !

118. krakency says:

I don’t like consoles, but I must admite this was über-cool!

119. Avid X says:

nice!

120. Fezzer says:

Glad it all worked out in the end! Props to staying positive through everything!

I, too, hope this clears up similar issues in the future.

121. Brian says:

Oh wow!!!
    That’s one major publicity stunt Microsoft did. But hey, it was signed but the big guy himself.

If Nathaniel reads this……….DON’T YOU EVER PLAY ON THAT SYSTEM!!!! THAT WILLEVENTUALLY BECOME A GOLD MINE OF EBAY IF YOU DO SELL IT!!!
    PUT IT INTO A SAFE DEPOSIT BOX AT THE BANK!!!

122. Ragingterror says:

@ Brian:

Haha… as I now have two 360s, this one will be going in a glass case AT THE VERY LEAST.

123. walter newsome says:

WOW, Now if only I could get “Hard Drive, Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire” by James Wallace & Jim Erickson” signed among other goodies I have collected over the years. I am a MS Nut with a Love/Hatred for Microsoft. I Loved XP, and am even Trying hard to love Vista after De”DRMing, De- it and getting all the junk off of it.
    I’m glad there was a some what of a happy ending.

124. Ryan says:

I don’t understand why people were flaming him for “being stupid” and sending his console to the repair center. He was assured by the rep that his console would be treated with extra special care and he believed it.

You’re calling him stupid for taking someone’s word when he had no reason not to?

It’s even worse that people are going after him because he got something nice after it all happened. He wanted to fix what got him into the mess he was in, and with the effort that went into hooking him up, he’s almost certainly on the right path. Insisting that you have no desire for compensation is not how you go about getting some awesome swag.

Awesome swag is just what was handed to him, as their way of saying “sorry.” It’s not his fault he was handed something cool, and it’s doubly not his fault that you were not, so lay off.

125. Ryan says:

Oh, and there IS the possibility that the disparities between the two autographs can be explained by the different types of pen.

The autographs usually seen are pen, whereas on the box it appears to be a thick-tipped marker. He would have to write more deliberately with the marker to ensure the signature remained legible.

126. Cypher Steel says:

I think the Bill Gates signature is faked.
    I Googled “Bill Gates Autograph” and you can find images all over the web.
    Go ahead and compare the two. There are a few differences.
    Sorry bro, but I still think you got some cool crap.
    Good for you!

127. Mr. Anderson says:

this does not get past the part that we are all in the matrix and that was the systems way of shutting up someone who stands-out

128. Kilroy says:

Hey Walter Newsome – I’ve got a comple MS DOS 1.x binders that are in pristine condition and read “High Performance Software”. How about that – MS DOS 1.x was considered high performance.

129. Ragingterror says:

“I WILL however note that the loops on the L’s seem like they should be tighter. Ah well, that’s not important! Mister Chief saying “Wash me” is. That’s brilliant.”

130. Digital says:

Good game microsoft, gg…

131. Digital says:

As a side note, how long till people start crying “it’s fake”?

figure that’s really the only way to bitch about microsoft’s effort to fix this, to cry fake.

132. nathan42100 says:

Funny quotes from the back:
    “Sharpie Ink = Fail”
    “My name is Paul Russel.”
    “Wash Me”
    “306″ in PS font instead of 360?
    Messed up and backwards (non colored) windows logo from way back when.
    And from the front (top, whatever):
    “see you on live! -e”
    Small chested childish looking cortana

I wonder what the “<— DO NOT LOSE THIS” was pointing too, the HD? What was on there?
    Another thing on the bottom left says “It _____ in here” I wonder what they were pointing to….

133. Megan says:

Wow. That is a pretty cool ending to this story. Pretty cool? I mean awasome! *laughs* I wounder what really happened to his XBOX. Did they people at Microsoft really clean it off. Or was someone greedy enough to actually steal it. Lame ether way if you ask me.

134. Brad says:

Nathaniel is a GREAT guy! In the end..as most comments indicate…the average person would have lost their mind and chewed someone a new one.

it takes patience and a humble person to do what most customers fail to do. I appreciate the fact that you want this experience to help Microsoft with their Customer Service and you’ve made the consumer aware.

Thanks!

135. M says:

Well done, big guy. You deserve the loot. Actually you deserve more, but one cant be too greedy

136. You’re the most lucky bastard in the whole universe and three or four parallels worlds.

Engoy it!!!

137. Senor Hurt says:

This is exactly the kind of thing I thought they’d do once I heard the story. Sorry it happened in the first place but you can see the effort was there to make up for it. Hopefully, this kind of thing doesn’t happen again. But congratulations Nate!

138. Casey says:

I don’t think microsoft or anyone else for that matter owed him anything if you’ve got something like that you don’t send it away in the first place don’t be an idiot go buy another one or something. It’s his own fault, they tell you not to send in anything you want to keep, hard drive, games that kind of stuff. I would have laughed if they refused to clean it cause he mucked up the casing lol.

139. Ragingterror says:

“It goes in here” Points to the power supply port. Amusing, indeed. :)

140. Ryan says:

“Also note that the signature was done over a curved surface, not a flat one. That tends to make the proposition a little more precarious.

One other thing. I received a personal message from John Porcaro at Microsoft last night, and based on what he said it is 100% authentic. Yes, even Bill has seen the story and continues to be involved in this.”

Ahh, true, true. I completely forgot about the fact it was curved, hahaha. I was hoping someone would have a reasonable explanation for what I said, anyways.

Why they would bother forging Bill Gates’ signature would be beyond me. It’s just fun to play handwriting analyst every once in a while. :P I wanted it to be authentic.

You’re still a lucky bugger.

141. TheDeeZone says:

I am glad that Microsoft and Bungie steps up and did the right thing.

142. Court says:

Big whoop they cleaned it. Go buy a car and then go back to the dealer for service. They won’t clean it, be happy it comes back the same way you left it. If it was that big of a deal then he should have treated it like the Hope diamond. What if the carrier (UPS) or whoever lost it? They won’t pay for more the item is actually worth.

143. TLG says:

that response of his seemed more than a little ungrateful. It’s like jesus man, mistake or something more sinister, MS managed to get virtually every autograph you had collected, PLUS others you hadn’t, and a ton of free stuff. What ever happened to saying thank you, and letting it be done?

“Dude, you left the front door unlocked, and somebody stole my Xbox”

3 weeks later.

“I felt bad about getting your xbox stolen, so here’s another Xbox, a PS3, a few games and some other stuff I thought you might like.”

“Well thanks, but just lock the door next time.”

WTF?!

144. likeweb says:

Wow i didn’t know this much power of internet community to make Micorsoft compensate.

This is Awesome!

145. Kastoran says:

THis kids it one lucky SOB. I will agree he did seem to get the raw end of the deal to start with, but when will this end? I am tired fo seeing soem random kid get stroked for no good reason. I pay for every single bit of hardware that I own. no one gives me free stuff just because. I say enough is enough.

146. thr3ddy says:

That’s excellent, good to see everything worked out for the guy :)

Makes you wonder: Is Microsoft actually as evil as it is made out to be?

147. Ragingterror says:

@ TLG

*sigh* Go read comment 105, then come back to this one.

John Porcaro contacted me again Saturday night and left me a rather lengthy message. Much of it is personal and I’m treating some of it as confidential, so I’m only going to pull out a few lines. They should, however, give you an idea of what Microsoft thinks about this scenario and how I responded to it.

Everyone has not only felt empathy for your situation, but we’re all asking what we can do to make sure problems like yours (and others) don’t happen again. I’ve been told that specific policies have been put into place because of your situation, and I know a lot more attention is being paid to the entire process, which is a good thing. You will continue to have a lasting legacy among lots of parts of our company, and possibly many others…

I didn’t want to make it look like we were trying to spin a negative PR story to our advantage. Being silent while we were collecting signatures probably ended up hurting us (at least from a PR perspective), but I wanted you to have something from us only because we wanted to make things up to you…

Through it all you’ve been very cool to point out you never meant to try to get something out of it, but you were only trying to help others so similar things wouldn’t happen to them. Great attitude, the mark of a leader. I admire that a lot.

Despite the comments from the InterWebz trolls that have been thrown about, we know you acted honorably…

Even at big, bad Microsoft, we make mistakes, and sometimes
    we don’t do what’s right because we’re afraid of breaking rules or speaking up, or because we just don’t know all the ramifications of every decision we make. But we all want to do the right thing, and we’re sorry when we screw up. Thanks again for bringing all this to our attention, and for helping our community.

Now, back to some video games…

You’re unthinkingly applying negative connotation to my statement, imagining a writer that is angry and full of angst. I am neither. Forgiveness can be freely given (and it has), but responsibility is a different matter, one which everyone involved should be aware of.

They read my statements carefully and took them the right way. Why are so many of you unwilling to do so?

148. trigger119 says:

Definitely a great ending to this story…thanks for keeping us updated bs angel. Also, great playing with you the other night Nathaniel :-)

149. Andemon says:

Nicely done.
    I may not like Microsoft as a whole much, but Bill himself has always been one of the good guys.

I wonder what he used to sign that, though.
    Probably some ridiculously expensive special marker that cannot be erased no matter what. Probably glows in dark, too.

Geiger counter, anyone?

150. Everyone makes mistakes

I’m sorry isn’t enough

Try to set things straight/make up for it

I think that has been done in spades!!!!!

151. TLG says:

It’s self indulgent and verbose, to quote another poster. Sorry, a thank you would’ve sufficed. But hey, you know what they say about opinions…

152. Ken says:

Great PR stunt by microsoft to look like the good guys in the consumer’s eyes

153. also not cynden says:

@ Cynden

“loose”
    “explination”
    Put down the controller and pick up a book.

154. dave says:

Dude, sell that thing on ebay.

155. Fernando Verga says:

Uhuuuuuuu, Que Moral…..!

#$%*(*&&¨@&$¨*)_++*!+*$&%

156. Erick J says:

wow…most of the people commenting here are real ass holes. ms screwed up, not him; and they fixed it. I didn’t think microsoft had it in them to be nice to a customer, but I was wrong.

and just because the guy can read on a 12th grade level doesn’t mean his writing is “verbose” or “self-indulgent”. the first letter was very clear in it’s message: “DON’T WASH ME!” The second letter clearly expresses his gratitude for the unorthodox, creative solution to his problem. though MS didn’t specify whether this incident has had any effect on customer service policy, common sense and logic would dictate otherwise.

chances are this incident is still going around in the warehouse, and the one that cleaned it is probably feeling like an idiot, so I doubt this’ll happen again.

that’s one hell of a halo promo; good show bungie. I could use a replacement controller… :p

157. Well it’s good to hear that Microsoft finally decided to put forth some action on their part. I think it’s unlikely that we’ll actually see or rather hear of any changes being made in the service department, but I guess we can hope.

158. No More Frog :( says:

OK….very cool indeed! However, the best signature is still missing from your original. You need to have Bill sign it again with “Frog blast the vent core!”

Then I think you’ll be even steven.

159. not satisfied says:

I’m confused…?

It’s certainly at a point where nothing else can be expected to happen to resolve this, but I’d still be pissed if this is where things were left. The impression I get of it is that someone put very determined effort in to being maliciously destructive on the guy despite him taking many varied steps to make sure beyond all doubt that the case wouldn’t be changed.

I agree with his sentiment that nothing seems to have been done to make sure this won’t happen in future, and I don’t see any real apology by microsoft. Instead it looks like somebody spotted this was quite rightly getting them bad PR so they’ve thrown some money in to sending a heap of swag in an attempt to fix the temporary PR issue.

They haven’t properly apologised to him; they don’t seem to have found who was response; they haven’t done anything to ensure this won’t happen in future, and it all comes off as looking like they’re trying to make people forget about this and would do the same all over again next time. It’s not going to bring the art back, which I have to say, I was more impressed with than what he’s got now. The original art was a far nicer work.

160. Shannon says:

I may have not decided to send off the XBox, but that’s me. He was assured the XBox would not be cleaned, and he made the decision to send it. That’s him. Why should his decision absolutely lock him into a position of loss? Regardless of policy or what should have been done, Microsoft sent him the stuff, and it’s pointless at this point to argue about whether or not he deserves it.

Companies take advantage of us every day, yet we defend them as if they are infallible institutions. That’s scary. I personally don’t think the “PR stunt” opinion is so far from the truth.

Anyways, I think he’s lucky and if it was a sincere apology, there’s nothing wrong with that!

161. Lucy says:

Mistakes happen

162. Morpheus says:

I’m with some of the others. Just put that bad boy in a glass case and don’t touch!

Heh heh.

But it’s good to see you’re getting comped for all of this.

Boy, those are a lot of signatures…

163. Yin117 says:

Well at least he got something that trumped his previous console from M$ and stuff that he can enjoy tat are one of a kind from Bungie, I hope they have sorted there stuff out so that this will never happen again, I wonder if they have his console Registered as: DO NOT CLEAN!!!! FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL MEAN THE SACK!!!!!

Anyway Good Luck to him and his Gaming, to all of you infact.

PS – If anyone knows how to EASILY cancel a “Phantasy Star Universe” Membership, please tell as via the Xbox E-Mail Support, I was Reffered to the, Xbox Phone Support Number = Stupid, I will likely have to spend an age on the phone to the USA, when Im in the UK, I haven’t got the game yet (I want to) but if you can tell me something that might help, then please do.

Later.

164. Bluey Brutal says:

To all the people calling him an idiot,

God forbid he wants to send something to a company that PROMISED that his console would be taken care of and the case would remain the same as when he sent it. Seriously, if you guys took the time to read all the info on this stuff. You would of realized they told him it would be fine, and nothing would be ruined/gone. Somewhere there was a mistake, it happens, and they tried to make up for it. Also he didnt lose the memories of getting the signatures on his first system. He still has those, and now the memory of how he lost them, and how he was repaid for the hard loss.

Its great that microsoft and bungie care about players, they felt bad for the guy and gave him abunch of nice things to try and make him happy. It will never replace the original console in the story but atleast they did something for him insted of sending him a message that basicly said get over it like many other companies would of. This shows you Bungie would be the best group of people to control the world (Cant wait till they do so!) and microsoft will be good partners if they need back up.

This inspires me to get a new Xbox 360 and get it signed by people, only because im Jealous. First targets. MLG people!

165. porkstein says:

Strangely, this worries me. I worry that Microsoft is using this as an oppurtunity to improve their PR; they give one gamer a Bill Gates signed Xbox 360, and people lay off Microsoft for a while when it comes to the whole RROD debacle. But I doubt much has changed internally, and I deeply respect Nathaniel for persisting with his goal that to 99% of us would have long been forgotten.

Here’s to hoping that something does change, however unlikely.

166. MR HAT3ER says:

this kid should be like bending on his knees catering to your every whim because if you didn’t publish this none of this would ever happen

167. Pingback: Rest in Peace My Original Launch Xbox 360